Re: [CH] Bitten Plants

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:40:32 -0500

Sandy Olson wrote:

> Okay, what critter just bites the tops off the pepper plants, leaving a bit
> of the stem?  I don't have a neurotic cat, pepper-eating dog or  dizzy
> gerbil but there are lots of bunnies running around the neighborhood
> (because the neighbors don't have cats or dogs either).  Are rabbits gnawing
> my little peppers?  All these flat-topped little stems are just standing
> there with some leaves still near the bottom.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Cajun Ragin' Rabbit
  Categories: Game, Bbq, Chilies
       Yield: 4 Servings

       1 tb Brown sugar
       1 tb Fresh ground black pepper
     1/2 tb White pepper
     1/2 tb Celery salt
       2 ts Cayenne
     1/2 ts Thyme; dried
     1/4 ts Dry (Colman's) Mustard
       5 lb Rabbit pieces
       1 tb Rape seed or corn oil
       1 tb Creole mustard

   Serving Suggestions: Lead off dinner with Smoked Spud Skins,
   hot from the smoke. Then serve the rabbit with lightly
   buttered noodles, Killed Salad, Squash Relish, and, for
   good measure, Peanut butter Cake.

   BBQ Tips: The funcution of the cheesecloth in the Ragin'
   Rabbit and other recipes is to keep lean meat moist during
   its slow smoking.

   You can skip the wrapping in smokers designed for moist
   cooking, such as water smokers and Cookshack ovens.

   Directions: About 2 to 3 hours befor you plan to barbecue,
   combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl. Massage
   the meat lightly with oil and mustard and sprinkle evenly
   with the dry rub. Place the meat in a shallow glass oven
   proof or other smoke proof dish, cover, and refrigerate it.

   Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bring the tempture to
   200-220F.

   Remove the rabbit from the refrigerator and let it sit in
   the dish, covered, at room tempture for 30 to 30 minutes.
   Cut a yard-long section of cheesecloth and dampen it
   thoroughly with water.

   Uncover the dish and drape the top of it loosely with
   several thicknesses of folded chesecloth.

   Transfer the cheesecloth-covered dish to the smoker. Cook
   for about 1 1/4 hours, wetting down the cheesecloth with
   warm water a couple of times in a wood-burning pit, or with
   other style smokers every time you raise the lid. The
   cheesecloth will brown but won't burn if it is kept moist.

   Remove the cheesecloth from the meat and discard it.

   Continue smoking until the meat is cooked through but still
   juicy, an addititional 15 to 25 minutes.

   Serve the rabbit immediately.

   Recipe By: Jamison and Jamison - "Smoke & Spice"

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!

... The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. Note that any views or
opinions presented in this message are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen.

All emails are subject to monitoring and archival. Finally, the
recipient should check this message and any attachments for the presence
of viruses. Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. If you have
received this in error, please notify someone who cares immediately by
replying to the message and deleting the material from any computer.