FW: [CH] Crushed Red Pepper

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:22:30 -0500

I am a fan of the coffee mill.  I almost never use the mill for anything
other than chiles, so it should be properly called a chile mill.

Suggest that the mill is loaded about 3/4 full and grind in several pulses
till it looks good.

Cheap mills at Wally Wurld, K-Mart, etc work fine.  I recently saw a
Cuisinart model where the grinding bowl and blades come off as a unit for
washing.  This is great.

I hold mine inverted and use hot water and the sink sprayer to clean.  I
leave it inverted for about 24 hours to dry.  I still havve had to
disassemble it a couple times to free up and lubricate the shaft, due to
water getting in, rusting and siezing it.

Blue skies,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of T. Matthew
Evans
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 8:21 AM
To: Chile Heads
Subject: [CH] Crushed Red Pepper

Hi All --

Does anyone have a good method for making "crushed red pepper" from their
dried
chiles?  I really like the consistency of the commercial stuff (uniform
flakes,
good flesh to seed ratio) but the flavor (of course) is not really there.
So,
I usually make my own, and I have tried several different methods (hand,
knife,
food processor) with unsatisfactory results.  I either end up with half
powder,
half flakes or crushed seeds, or some other unappealing problem.

Thanks.

Matt

=====