Re: [CH] canning salsa

Will McCown (will@ross-mccown.com)
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:09:30 -0700

Michelle DeWitt Smith wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm canning salsa this weekend and was searching pepper fool recipes for
> ideas. I was hoping to add limes and cilantro but none of the canning
> recipes call for either.
>
> Can someone tell me if it's ok to replace the vinegar or bottled lemon juice
> with fresh lime juice when processing?
>
> If anybody has a special recipe, I'm all up for ideas.

The biggest thing to remember if you're canning salsa, and
you're not pressure canning it, is to check that the PH of
your product is sufficiently acidic (below 4.6).  I use
PH test strips to check mine.  (The other option is to
invest in a pressure canner, but I suspect that the prolonged
higher temperatures change the flavors a bit).

--
Will McCown, South Pasadena, CA
will@ross-mccown.com