Re: [CH] English Baked Beans

dan combs (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:32:01 -0500

At 09:33 PM 9/23/2004, Uncle Dirty Dave (Dave Drum) wrote:

>Not red kidney beans - which are large red beans. What you need are
>"small red beans" or even pink beans (yes, there are such). Small red
>beans cook up about the size of the beans in Campbell's Pork n' Beans.
>
>Two very different tastes/textures between red kidney beans and small
>red beans.

Sorry, I was out in Seattle and had to leave the thread.  The small red
beans would be "cranberry?"   I've gotten several good recipes for beans
and some of them are labeled "English."  None of them have 27% tomato like
on the can of Heinz..

As near as I can read the small print it is "Beans 49%, tomato 27%, water,
glucose-fructose syrup,  salt, modified cornflour, spirit vinegar, Spice
extracts, herb extracts."  So I'm looking for a recipe with the tomato in
it.

But how can they have baked beans without chiles?

carp