Re: [CH] English Baked Beans

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:59:47 -0500

dan combs wrote:

>> Not red kidney beans - which are large red beans. What you need are
>> "small red beans" or even pink beans (yes, there are such). Small red
>> beans cook up about the size of the beans in Campbell's Pork n' Beans.

>> Two very different tastes/textures between red kidney beans and small
>> red beans.

> Sorry, I was out in Seattle and had to leave the thread.  The small red
> beans would be "cranberry?"   I've gotten several good recipes for beans
> and some of them are labeled "English."  None of them have 27% tomato
> like on the can of Heinz..

> As near as I can read the small print it is "Beans 49%, tomato 27%,
> water, glucose-fructose syrup,  salt, modified cornflour, spirit
> vinegar, Spice extracts, herb extracts."  So I'm looking for a recipe
> with the tomato in it.

> But how can they have baked beans without chiles?

I have been told by someone they use white beans (haricots verts).
But, all my sources (both the local Poms ex-pats that I know) say red
or pink beans. As to how they manage to make baked beans without
chilies - you'd have to ask our UK list member. I bet he puts chilies
in _HIS_ baked beans.  Bv)>

I got to thinking about the claim of using haricots verts for English
beans on toast - so I went to Google, where all the pages are in the
Froggish tongue. Hmmmmm, sez I. I misdoubt that those good, sturdy,
English yeomen would use something as frou-frou as haricots verts. So,
I had Google translate one of the Frenchified pages and guess what?
Haricots verts are just plain ol' green bean when they are at home in
their Dr. Dentons. Here is what the page had to say:

"The French beans are made of a long, thin and edible thimble and are
sometimes called "runner beans" or "runner beans". The beans butters,
another type of runner bean, have a savour which resembles that of
French beans. They draw their name from their pale yellow color. The
beans are a good source of vitamin C and food fibre."

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.kraftcanada.com/controller%3Fcmd%3DARTICLE_VIEW%26lang%3DFR%26aid%3D65201%26sid%3D65170%26ctx%3D4000&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dharicots%2Bverts%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

Great American Outback