Re: [CH] Open Fields 2004 & Dates for 2005

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:11:45 -0600

Mike writes:

> Another little chinense that has been
> growing in popularity is Cumari (aka Wild Brazilian).
> It could take a half hour just to pick a cup
> full of Cumari pods, but it would be worth it.

Aargh!  Trust me, I have a lot of C. pubescens seeds to send Jim from at least 30 diff varieties, but I didn't even try to save Cumari seeds from my single plant as the pods are so small.  But wow, are they good!!  The Fatalii and Choc Habs were two of my favs last year too.  Especially the Fatalii & my thanks to Marv in Wisc and Matt in Georgia for both sending me seeds and I've got ripe ones now <G> on two plants that I'm overwintering.

Jim writes:

> Rocotos seem to be in demand, everyone believing
> that they can't be grown first year :-)

Growing them is no problem.  Getting 1st year pods can be!  It seems the farther north the better the chances.  I still marvel over NECM's (Massachusetts) success with PI 593622 (Guatemala) from a seedling that I sent him.  His plant produced beyond belief.   I let my two PI 593622 2nd year plants die this fall as is just too warm (apparently) here in Missery for them to produce well.  And many of us here know JanZ from a cold region in California who had 150 gram pods from 1st year rocotos!!  (almost twice as large as any that I've ever grown)  The C. pubes from Ecuador seem to do the best for most everyone.

jt