FW: [CH] anti-caking agent for chile powder

Rich Stevens (richstev@erols.com)
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:16:29 -0500

Typically, a silica gel (sodium silicate) or silicon dioxide (less than 2%)
is added as an anti-caking agent.  Calcium silicate, calcium stearate,
powdered cellulose, sodium aluminosilicate, microcrystalline cellulose,
magnesium stearate, and/or potassium stearate can and have also been used as
effective anti-caking agents. Jim C. would probably be able to give you
advice as to sources and amounts to use.

Rich Stevens  http://users.erols.com/richstev/
Photo Trend Enterprises- A Restaurant Service Company

"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of ron davies
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 12:05 AM
To: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] anti-caking agent for chile powder

delurking after many years.

I'm trying to make my own chile powder and after grinding the peppers the
powder cakes up into little lumps. The powder seems to be dry but there is
just enough moisture to allow it to cake. Anyone know of any anti-caking
agents
I can use or an alternative way to keep the powder from caking?

I'm using a small handheld coffee grinder to grind the dried peppers.

I'm using the chile powder to dust caschews and peanuts. My employees
go nuts over my mix and up to now I've always used store bought powders
but they were never hot enough.

chile dad

The Perfect Burn: When the food I'm eating is hot enough to make me dizzy,
lose my hearing and blur my vision.