Re: [CH] New Mexican Chiles? What are they? What do I buy?

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:04:14 -0500

 I'm not sure where you live, ChileBuzz, but if you aren't familiar
 with NM chiles, you most likely won't be able to find them.  That
 said, they are similar in size and shape to Anaheim chiles, but a
 little more contorted and wrinkled.  For a recipe specifying green NM
 chiles, your best bet is probably to use a mixture of roasted Anahiems
 and jalapenos.  For dried (or red) NM chiles, use guajillos.

 Which brings up an interesting convention -- when I moved to ABQ in
 1995, I went into the local Smith's grocery store (Lomas and San
 Mateo?) and asked an employee -- "Where are your dried chiles?"  She
 looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "I don't think we have
 those."  This struck me as particularly odd (and quite disappointing),
 since one of the main reasons we moved to NM was for chiles.
 Eventually, I figured out that the concept of "dry" chiles is
 particularly foreign to New Mexcians, who refer to chiles (always!) as
 either green or red in stead of fresh or dried.

 Matt