Re: [CH] New Mexican Chiles? What are they? What do I buy?

David Gallardo (david@gallardo.org)
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:49:40 -0700

We live near Southern New Mexico, and once drove to Hatch for their
annual chile fest to stock up on NM greens. As it turned out, we didn't
have much success finding any great buys there for some reason, maybe
'cause we went too late in the day, & wound up visiting various farms in
Mesilla Valley till we found what we were looking for: large, not too
wrinkly peppers in a variety of heat levels. The nice thing about buying
them in NM at harvest time is that you have your choice of
varieties--some, like Big Jim, but esp. Diablo, are really hot! We did
find a huge, beautiful ristra of edible red chiles at a stall in town,
though.

It turns out we weren't really happy with roasting and freezing large
amounts of chiles, though, because they get kind of mushy. That was OK
when we lived in the Northeast, (we stocked up when we visited my
parents @ Christmas), but now that we have a reliable supply of long
greens throughout the year we prefer buying them fresh and roasting them
as needed, a few at a time on the gas stove or on the grill. (You can
also put them in the broiler.) The only drawback is that we don't really
have control over the heat level, esp. since the variety is never specified.

@D