RE: [CH] Fantastic Hotsauce

Shaun aRe (shaun_are@zenlunatics.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:05:56 -0000

"Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:56:08 +0000
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <asilbajo@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [CH] Fantastic Hotsauce

Sounds very good!  There are so many possible ways to make a good hot sauce.
  Now that you have the technique sorted, you can make variations from
different pepper varieties.

I suggest you try blending a little bit of your sauce into something Asian
like a hoisin sauce, or some kind of ginger/garlic dressing or marinade.

I've never worked with a juicer. ( However I do hope to bring my old
hand-cranked meat grinder to Open Fields this year, for the purpose of
chopping fresh peppers from the field.)  I get a similar result with a food
processor, some simmering time, and a ladle & seive - which also gives me a
pulp/seed by-product that can have other uses like flavoring vinegar."

Hey Alex! Been a while, how you doin'? ',;~}~

Heh, yeah - made sauces in quite a few different ways previously, and from
different peppers. I have a wine bottle full still, of one I made from red
hab types (again), then fresh figs, green dates, ripe mangoes, fresh lime
juice and sea salt - nothing else. THAT is another superb sauce, albeit
completely different in flavour.

If I blend anything else in with the base sauce, it will be fresh and as
made by me as possible, so if I were to add anything garlic wise, it would
be fresh garlic, chopped or pureed, or roasted garlic or similar. I like the
hoisin idea though, cheers!

I'm hoping to make heaps of different ones this year, providing the chile
grow goes to plan, and see if we can't sell some on somehow!

So far this year, I've been asked 4 times for sauces by people I know, and
given them all bottles full - everyone was more than VERY pleased, and said
they'd be back for more, and reimburse me for my efforts too - gave several
away last year with the same results, so that's a start I guess ',;~}~

We're *hoping* to get a poly-tunnel set up soon, if we can work out the
funds for one, and we'll be planting all sorts in it, hopefully including as
many chile plants as we can grow...

Cheers!

Shaun aRe