RE: [CH] Bad News on Cinco de Mayo

PBurke@mpi.mb.ca
Thu, 5 May 2005 08:44:20 -0500

Up here in the frozen north....we wouldn't even consider planting before
the 3rd weekend in May....got 70 plants in starter trays, just
awaiting....

Paul

( in Winnipeg....a lot east of the guy on the island ( hey Doug ) ...a
lot west of Kris ( Ottawa)  and Linda ( Toronto )and a bit north of Nels
in N.D.)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Kris Kumler
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 8:15 AM
To: Chileheads List
Subject: Re: [CH] Bad News on Cinco de Mayo

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 07:43:04AM -0500, Uncle Dirty Dave (Dave Drum)
wrote:
> Damn!!! Got got night before last. Hard frost in Illinois in May.
> Rocotos es mort. Sh*t. Also all but one of the cherry bombs that of
> all the pepper seed that Ms. Dewi sent. Double sh!t. That's what I get

> for trying to jump the season, I guess. But, in 63 years this is the
> latest frost that I have in my memory banks. Rats ... and small mice.
>
> I guess my container garden will be store bought serranos (from my
> favourite grocer who still chilli grinds chuck for me - to order) and
> the one tough Hot Cherry Bomb that gave the finger to the frost.
>
> I hope everyone else has better fortune.

My luck with chile plants has not been so great this year.  I had about
~35 chile plants set out this time around.  I got a late frost one night
when I didn't see a warning at all (and I looked).  I did cover them a
couple nights ago.

However, many of my remaining plants got a surprise attack by what I
suspect may be rabbits.  After next week I may be tempted to make an
order from Susan in Bloomington.  I had ten plants from her last year
(some ornamental) and they were all very good plants.

--
Kris