Re: [CH] Bad News on Cinco de Mayo

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Thu, 05 May 2005 16:57:48 -0500

Hobby Farmer wrote:
> Hi, Dave:
>
> Snowed here Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  Hard frost every night for the
> last week - was 24 Tuesday night.  Wanna trade???
>
> Would those Rocotos have come from seed I sent you?  If so, I have a
> dozen or so of their siblings here, and I could spare a few.  They are
> only about 2" tall or less - we plant the first week of June here, and
> grow the seedlings accordingly.  They ship OK in toilet paper rolls.
> Let me know.

Yes, they would have. I'll try again next year as I still have about
half the seeds left ... had good germination. Thanks for the offer
but, I have enough plants to fill my available buckets.

> The Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! sauce you sent was great!  What kind of
> chiles and spices did you use?  The label just says "garlic, chiles,
> vinegar, salt".

Damn! That reminds me. I need to cart that cheque and bottle of sauce
down the post office and get it odd to Diane Salts. She sent me a nice
Lexmark printer and I promised her some sauce. And it's been sitting
under my computer desk for a loooooong time. They're right - the mind
is the second thing to go. I forget what the first thing is.

That's it. The chilies vary from batch to batch - depending on what I
have on hand from last years garden. I think that the batch I sent you
was mostly Raja'a Pride, straight Cayenne, a few Serrano, some Thai
Dragons since that is what I grew and dried last year. I'll attach the
recipe to this reply.

> I'm attaching a couple of photos from the hobby farm of me and my bride.

> We were down to Madison, Indiana for the Hot Luck and Firey Foods Show.
> Picked up my annual stash of sauces from Jim Campbell, ate way too much
> hot food and had a ball.

> You ought to make Open Fields if you possibly can.  We roll in Friday
> night and head home Sunday afternoon.  It's a great weekend!

> Sorry about all the deaths in your chile family.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Yaaaaahhhh Hooooooo Aaaaahhhh Hot Sauce
  Categories: Udd, Sauces, Chiles, Garlic
       Yield: 1 Quart

       1 qt Mason jar
       1 tb Salt; plain
       1 pt Chiles; dried Serrano,
            - Cayenne, Tabasco, etc.
       1 pt Garlic cloves; peeled
            Distilled white vinegar

   Fill the Mason jar with the dried chilies and peeled garlic.
   Dissolve the tablespoon of salt in a cup of white vinegar and
   pour over the chilies and garlic. Top up the jar with more
   vinegar and put the jar in a low traffic area to let the
   chilies rehydrate for a few weeks. Add vinegar as needed to
   keep the jar full.

   After a few weeks empty the contents of the jar into a blender
   or food processor and puree. Add vinegar (or water) to get to
   your desired thickness. I like mine to be fairly thick (like
   catsup with an attitude) instead of runny like Tabasco. As
   there is plenty of vegetable pulp in this mix, thick is easy.

   You can decant into smaller bottles or keep in the quart jug.
   I have kept some in the ice box for as long as five weeks with
   no ill effects. I can't seem to get it to last any longer than
   that. Apparently the longer it sits in the ice box the more of
   it disappears.

   This is a modestly successful attempt to make my own "Huy Fong
   Sriracha Sauce". It's more garlicky than Huy Fong and moderately
   spicy and goes well on almost anything. Which, I suspect is why
   I have never had a batch last more than five weeks before it's
   all used up.

   Devised, made. tested, named and approved in Uncle Dirty Dave's
   Kitchen. In the heart of the Great American Outback.

   MM Format and Recipe by Dave Drum - 23 February 1998

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen -  A FIDO Cooking Echoes Production

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its
freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it
values more, it will lose that, too. -- W. Somerset Maugham

1356 Days and Counting