Re: [CH] Bad News on Cinco de Mayo

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Thu, 05 May 2005 14:59:29 -0500

jim wrote:
> Last frost date here in Indianapolis is May 15th.  I don't care how warm it
> is for how long, I don't cheat that date by so much as a single day.  I've
> seen snow here on Memorial day (once).

I should know better. I really should. But, I wanted to push on the
rocotos since they are listed as a late maturing pepper - and I do not
live in the Andes mountains.

> I was shaking my head at all the neighbors out there furiously planting away
> last week when it hit 80 F.

Well, we live and learn. Or we don't live long.

> Sorry about your loss Dave.  If you're in Illinois, you've not got that far
> of a drive to the fields.  Come get what you need!

I appreciate the offer. But, since I am doing my gardening in 5 gallon
buckets on my deck these days ... U$5 spent with my grocer (who also
hauls his own produce, butchers his own meat, etc) loaded me up.
Mostly serranos (for making salsa) Biker Billy jalapenos (also for
salsa - and other things) and a half dozen of what he called yellow
habaneros - and which I suspect may be lemon drops. His prices were
very good - and I suspect that he makes them up as he goes along as
they were not marked. And I did order 60# of ground chuck and 5# of
suet while I was there.  Bv)=

And I have chill cook offs the next three weekends straight. Plus a
chilli supper (where the 60# of chuck will become 60 gallons of red
chilli w/beenz). Maybe, if I can get my schedule arranged - and the
ICS doesn't set the World Champeenships for that weekend I will
finally be able to make it to the Open Fields this fall.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its
freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it
values more, it will lose that, too. -- W. Somerset Maugham

1356 Days and Counting