Re: [CH] =Mark in Hospital

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 06 May 2005 21:15:48 -0500

Rich Stevens wrote:
> I'm sorry to say that my brother, =Mark, was taken to the hospital a week
> ago Thursday with acute congestive heart failure.  After a series of tests,
> the doctors have determined that his heart is probably strong enough to
> withstand surgery, although doing nothing is not really an option.  He is
> currently at Monmouth Medical center in Long Branch, NJ.  On Sunday they
> plan to transfer him to NYU in New York City, where they plan to do a
> multiple bypass and possible a heart valve replacement early next week.  The
> developing condition was caused, and masked by, symptomless and undiagnosed
> high blood pressure and diabetes.  His phone number at Monmouth is
> 732-923-5682.  At the moment, =Mark feels fine, and is up and about, but in
> spite of this, he remains in very serious condition.  He has no e-mail
> access.  As I am traveling back and forth between Virginia and New Jersey, I
> only have sporadic e-mail access.  I will pass along more information as it
> becomes available.

Bummah! Tell Mark not to give up on anything. I went through 5 days in
a coma from CHF about 10 years ago. I didn't need a bypass or
anything. But, they wrung 95 lbs of water out of me. And got my blood
pressure under control. Saved my life, they did.

Undiagnosed high blood pressure hurt my kidneys (which, I suspect, is
the cause of Mark's CHF) led to a sleep apnea which exhausted me, etc.
etc. etc. There is an excellent reason that they call high blood
pressure the "silent killer". As long as I take my blood pressure meds
and my pee pills I will be OK.

They found the diabetes 6 months after the coma and stuff. Diabetic
food isn't all that bad. And chilies are good for diabetics.

Pass along my best wishes. He _CAN_ get through this. Really!

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its
freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it
values more, it will lose that, too. -- W. Somerset Maugham

1355 Days and Counting