Fw: Re:[CH] Original recipe request

Shaun aRe (shaun_are@zenlunatics.co.uk)
Tue, 10 May 2005 15:58:58 +0100

(re-post, cos I sent it from a non-subbed addy first time, d'oh!)

 "Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:38:48 -0500
 From: jim@wildpepper.com
 Subject: [CH] Original recipe request

 As part of a project I'm putting together, I was wondering if some folks
 would mind posting some *original* recipes that they wouldn't mind
 sharing with the world.  Specifically, I'd be interested in ones that
 featured a specific chile type- like chipotle or habanero or chipotle or
 etc....  :-)  Although credited, these will go into the 'public domain'.

 If anyone has one that uses my stuff, I'd appreciate it being sent to me
 off list- no point in advancing the cause of us 'evil corporate types'
 :-)

 Have at it 'old feller' :-)

 Thanks in advance!

 - -Jim C
 Mild to Wild(R)"

 Hey Jim!

 Well here's the only 'recipe' I have ever written, for that matter, likely
 the only one I've ever cooked by - I tend to impro only...

 Oh, and the recipe wasn't named thus for this - that's what I've always
 called it ',;~}~

 "Shaun's Orangeinal Pork"

 (Feeds 2 to 4, adjust quantities to suit.)

 1 large onion
 2 large cloves garlic
 1/2 lb lean pork
 1 small red pepper
 1/4 lb mushrooms
 1 carton tomato passata
 1-2 squirts/tbsp tomato puree
 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I started to use finely chopped red
 habanero chiles or similar type, to taste. I use about 2)
 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
 2 large teaspoons finely chopped basil (fresh) (I actually started using
 about twice that)
 1 large tablespoon un-smoked paprika
 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
 1/2 level teaspoon sugar/honey
 zest & juice 1 medium orange
 fresh coriander leaves/cilantro or parsley for garnish
 1 kitchen sink

 Prep'n'cook:

 Chop the onion into pieces, about 1cm square, mince the garlic, chop the
red
 pepper into 1cm pieces, same with the mushrooms. Cube the pork.

 In a little hot oil brown off the pork pieces, adding the above chopped
 ingredients half way through (including any fresh finely chopped chiles
that
 have been subbed for the cayenne), along with the spices.

 After about another 5 mins. add all other ingredients except the herbs,
 reduce to a medium simmer.

 About 5 or so minutes before you think the pork will be done, add the dried
 herbs. At the last minute, add the fresh basil, leave long enough for the
 flavour to diffuse, then remove from the heat.

 Serve on a bed of rice, or with pasta/noodles, garnish with the cilantro or
 parsley, when done eating put dishes in sink and have yourself a bloody
nice
 pint of good, dark, malty ale, like a porter!

 (I've also made a version with chicken and lemon, choosing the herbs and
 spices to work with such - great, but not as good as this one - several
 friends have cooked this for visitors with great results.)

 Hope that helps!

 ',;~}~

 Shaun aRe
 --
 Living Life Large Like Loud Lemon Lipped Laughter.