Re: [CH] pepper jelly

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:55:14 -0400

Hi, Yvonne --

You can use liquid and powdered pectin interchangeably.  If you use
the powdered, you need to be sure to bring the mixture to a full,
rolling boil for at least a minute after adding it as the peppers have
very little natural pectin.  You should do this with the liquid
pectin, too, but the mixture does not seem to be quite as sensitive.
If the jelly doesn't set as thick as you'd like, it's most likely
because you didn't get the pectin hot enough for long enough.  The
jelly will taste the same, but will be a little thinner -- sort of
like thick syrup.  In this state, I really like to use it as a glaze
or an ingredient for barbecue sauce.

I'd like to hear how it turns out for you.

Matt