Re: [CH] Anyone have a good white chili recipe?

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:20:35 -0500

Bill Woodward wrote:

> A friend and I were discussing white chili the other day (you know
> chili with chicken, white beans, etc.).  I've made it before, but it's
> been a while and I've lost the recipe I had.  I found a bunch
> searching around on the net, but I was wondering if anyone had any
> recipes they wanted to recommend?

I've made all of these recipes and rate them in presentation order ...

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Austin Grill's Chilli Verde
  Categories: Chilli, Poultry, Stews
       Yield: 8 Servings

       5    Whole fresh Anaheim chilies;
            -seeded, peeled
       5    Whole Poblano chilies;
            -peeled, seeded
       2 tb Olive oil
       1 c  Yellow onion; diced
   1 1/2 ts Garlic; minced; or lots more
   1 1/2    Jalapeno; minced
     3/4 ts Oregano
     3/4 ts Cumin (or more)
       4 c  Chicken stock
       1 md Idaho potato; peeled, in
            -1/2" dice
       2 c  Chicken meat; cut in 1/2"
            -dice
       1 c  Cilantro; loose pack, large
            -stems removed
            Salt

   Cut Anaheim, and poblano chiles in half, remove the seeds , char and
   peel.

   In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the onion until
   translucent. Add the garlic, jalapeno chiles, cumin and oregano, and
   saute for several minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a
   simmer. Then add the potatoes and cook until just tender.

   NOTES : You can add white (Navy) beenz to this if you must have
   beenz n your chilli (UDD)

   This recipe makes a spicy soup with the consistency of a hearty
   chicken-vegetable soup.

   Yield: 8 Servings

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Chicken And White Bean Chilli
  Categories: Chilli, Beans, Poultry, Chilies
       Yield: 10 servings

       1 lb Dried small white beans
       8    Fresh Anaheim chilies (1 lb)
     1/4 c  Butter
       2 lg Onions; chopped
     1/3 c  All purpose flour
       4 c  Chicken broth
       3 c  Half and half
       4 c  Shredded cooked chicken
       1 tb Chilli powder
       1 tb Hot pepper sauce
       1 tb Ground cumin
       2 ts Salt
     1/2 ts White pepper

MMMMM-------------------------GARNISHES------------------------------
   1 1/2 c  Grated Monterey Jack cheese
            -(about 6 ounces)
       1 c  Sour cream
            Chopped fresh cilantro
            Purchased tomatillo or
            -green chili salsa

   Roasted green chilies add spice to this do-ahead dish,
   which happens to be a great way to use up leftover chicken.

   Place beans in heavy large pot with enough cold water to
   cover by at least 3 inches. Let stand overnight.

   Char chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened
   on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes.
   Peel, seed, and chop chilies. Set aside.

   Drain beans. Return to pot. Add enough cold water to pot
   to cover beans by 3 inches. Simmer until beans are almost
   tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Drain well.

   Melt butter in clean heavy large pot over medium heat. Add
   onions and sauté until tender, about 15 minutes. Add flour
   and stir 5 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in chicken
   broth and half and half. Simmer gently until thickened, about
   10 minutes. Add reserved white beans and roasted chilies,
   shredded chicken, and next 5 ingredients. Simmer gently to
   blend flavors, about 20 minutes. (Chilli can be made 1 day
   ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm
   before continuing.)

   Add grated cheese and sour cream to chilli; stir just until
   chilli is heated through and cheese melts (do not boil). Ladle
   chilli into bowls and garnish with cilantro and green salsa.
   Serve.

   * Also known as California chilies; available at Latin
   American markets and many supermarkets.

   Makes 10 to 12 servings.

   Bon Appétit; December 2002

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 03 September 2005

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Awesome White Chicken Chilli
  Categories: Chilli, Poultry, Stews, Beenz
       Yield: 4 Servings

       4    Chicken breasts; cubed
       6 tb Olive oil
       3 tb Cumin
     1/2 c  Diced onions
       7 cl Garlic; minced
       4 cn Northern beans; drained
       4 cn Chicken broth
            Salt & pepper
            Shredded Monterey jack
            -cheese
       1    Box prepared wild rice

   Simmer beans, broth, onions, cumin, garlic, salt & pepper in large
   pot for 30 mins. over med heat. Meanwhile, cook chicken in oil till
   done.

   Mix chicken into soup, and simmer for 30 mins. longer. Stir in rice.
   Pour into bowls, top with shredded cheese.

   Yield: 4

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: White Turkey Chilli (Bon Appétit)
  Categories: Chilli, Poultry, Chilies, Stews
       Yield: 4 servings

       2 tb Vegetable oil
     1/2 c  Minced onion
   1 1/2 tb Minced garlic
       4 ts Ground cumin
       1 lb Uncooked turkey breast
            -slices; in 1/2" cubes
     1/2 lb Ground turkey
       3 c  (or more) chicken stock or
            -canned broth
     1/4 c  Pearl barley
       2 tb Chopped seeded jalapeño
            -chilies
       1 ts Dried marjoram
       1 ts Dried summer savory
      15 oz Can cannellini (white kidney
            -beans) or Great Northern
            -beans, rinsed, drained
      15 oz Can garbanzo beans
            -(chickpeas), rinsed,
            -drained
            Hot pepper sauce; as needed

MMMMM-------------------------GARNISHES------------------------------
            Chopped green onions
            Grated cheddar cheese
            Sour cream

   Heat vegetable oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
   Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
   Add cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add
   cubed turkey breast and ground turkey. Sauté until no longer
   pink, about 4 minutes.

   Add 3 cups stock, barley, jalapeños, marjoram and summer
   savory to turkey mixture. Cover and simmer until barley is
   almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.

   Add cannellini and garbanzo beans to chili. Simmer uncovered
   until barley is tender and chilli is thick, about 15 minutes.
   Season with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. (Can be made 1
   day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)

   Serve chilli, passing green onions, cheese and sour cream
   separately.

   Serves 4.

   R.S.V.P. Via Cucina, Arlington VA

   Bon Appétit; November 1996

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"Bush says he doesn't want to play the "Blame Game." Makes sense.
Never heard of a chicken who wanted to play the "Extra Crispy" game."