Re: [CH] Homemade Fajita seasonings

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:18:32 -0400

Frank --

I couldn't agree more!  Mexican food might be my favorite cuisine of
all time -- you just can't get it in America.  I'm so tired of going
to "Mexican" restaurants and getting burritos smothered with Velveeta
and accompanied by bland rice and "refried" beans from a blender.
This type of goo (when consumed with a half dozen very cold Modelo
Especials) might be an exceptional hangover cure, it's not Mexican
food.

We have got an excellent taqueria near our house, but none of our
friends like it -- because it isn't Americanized.  They want chicken
quesadillas and too-sweet margaritas instead of sublime red chile pork
tacos with bits of pineapple, raw onions, cilantro and lime.  One of
their table sauces is a screaming hot concoction of roasted
tomatillos, roasted garlic, and roasted habanero -- in roughly equal
proportions, I think.

Some of the best meals I have ever eaten cost less than a dollar and
were consumed on a street corner somewhere in Mexico while drinking a
salted Tecate.

Matt