Re: [CH] Fajitas

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:39:11 -0400

Well said, Doug.  Obviously, I had no real idea about the origin of
fajitas, I just knew that their current incarnation had very little to
do with Mexican food.  I (like many others) tend to lose sight of the
fact that before Tex-Mex was a bad word to describe poorly executed
too-cheesy Mexican food it was an actual cuisine.  As you indicated,
it was borne of necessity, as were most cooking styles and recipes.

Which brings up an interesting point -- spicy food is consumed in
primarily hot climates because sweating cools you off, right?  Well,
every CH should own a copy of "Big Flavors of the Hot Sun" by Chris
Schlesinger and John Willoughby.  I know I trumpet these guys way too
often on this list (or at least I used to) but this is an exceptional
book of foods from hot-weather locations from around the world -- a
culinary trip around the equator.

Matt