Re: [CH] Dehydrator

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:01:03 -0500

Cameron Begg wrote:

> First wash and reject the duds. Cut of stem end and slice in half down

There is the whole secret of drying thick fleshed peppers.

> the middle. Put on wire cloth tray in the smoker and smoke on low heat
> overnight. Take out of smoker and put in the above dehydrator until
> dried. You have to look at them daily, remove the dry ones and rearrange
> the not completely dry ones to favorable positions for good air
> circulation. BTW - this unit has no fan. It is convection driven. When

Sounds exactly like mine.

> all jals are thoroughly dried they are frozen in air tight containers or
> powdered in a grinder. Yum. The smell when drying is exquisite!

The aroma that permeates the house is one of the best benefits of
drying peppers. Sometimes I will get a bargain bag of "Hot Peppers"
from the 'about to get tossed as rotten' bargain bin at the
stupormarkup. Serranos, jalapenos, habaneros, Anaheims, etc. Start a
tray drying and freeze the rest. When the first tray is dry - load
another from the freezer.

Beats the hell out of Air-Wick or Little Trees air fresheners.  Bv)=

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and
car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian