Re: [CH] LAND OF ENCHANTMENT

Sue Bonar (sbonar@NMSU.Edu)
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:11:15 -0700

Sorry about that - rellenos here are generally made with Big Jim or
Parker chiles.

There is a lot of the "haves" and "have-nots" and it seems to be getting
worse as a lot of people from California are selling their dinky home
for a half million or more, coming here, buying property, building
lavish homes and retiring. Fine for them I'm sure, but it is driving the
property prices through the roof, and families that have lived here for
generations are no longer able to afford property taxes. There's a fight
now because the city wants to "renovate/improve" one of the old
districts here, which basically means that the people who live there
currently won't be able to remain there. It's a shame to see what
happened in Santa Fe happening here. While I don't have a problem with
improvements, I just wish the city would see more than dollars signs
when they make decisions and be a little more foward thinking in their
planning. Ah well, I'm sure we're not the only place with such problems.
At least the corruption seems to be slowly receding.

Sandy, I'm sure you'll love Santa Fe during Christmas - it's beautiful.
There is something spiritual/magical about that city - it's in the air,
even. I haven't really been to the Midwest much, just seen photos mostly.

We had some family visit from CA a couple of weeks ago, and one of the
things they wanted to do was eat Mexican food. It's pretty nice to run
out of time for their visit before we ran out of good places to eat
(without duplicating them). They were here for a week. Whenever I travel
anywhere, I'm craving the food from Las Cruces within a couple of days.
We don't call it the "Land of Entrapment" for nothing!

Sue