Re: [CH] Uses for rocotos?

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:32:26 -0600

> I've still got lots (~ 50, ~ 1/1/2 oz. each) of fresh Rocotos,
> most still on
the plant (5 years old in a pot, inside for the winter).

Tom,

I must say that I admire that you get great production on an old
plant.  I just let 30+ diff C. pubescens varieties fend for
themselves in 17° weather (actually the 3rd sub 32° night of the
year) because can't seem to get decent production on plants over 2
years old.  The oldest was 5 years old.  And we all know what a
disaster the (my seeds) 1st year plants were at Open Fields this
year.  :(   I sure love them as 2nd year plants though.  :)

Anyways, I like to refrigerator pickle them.

Equal amts 5% vinegar and sugar
Pickling spices...   I prefer Tones brand
Sliced rocoto pods  (carefully remove seeds w/o removing placenta)

Heat vinegar and sugar just enough that the sugar dissolves
Add pickling spices (if desired)
Put in fridge to chill
Add sliced rocotos & a clove or two garlic doesn't hurt

After several months in the fridge the pickled pods are great
additions to grilled hamburgers etc.  And when dehydrated they make
for a great pepper powder.

jt