Re: [CH] Huevos de Muerte

John H. Sphar (jsphar@pacbell.net)
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:39:37 -0800 (PST)

Rich you read my mind.  We had some friends over today
for brunch and I decided to make a Mexican Torta.  The
recipe is a LOT like yours.

FROM Barbara Fenzl _Southwest the Beautiful Cookbook_

Torta Mexicana
"This colorful, layered dish is perfect for brunch and
can be assembled a few hours ahead and baked just
before guests arrive.  It's easy to scale up or down
depending on the depth of the springform pan".

2 tablespoons melted butter
SAUSAGE LAYER
12 oz. spicy breakfast sausage or chorizo
6 large green onions finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 jalapeno chiles, cored, seeded and minced
EGG LAYER
1 cup dry bread crumbs
3 green onions finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
1/2 cup milk
12 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon chile powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup Monterey jack cheese grated
1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
ASSEMBLY
2 flour tortillas (9 inch if possible)
3 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, halved
4 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, halved
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese grated
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and put oven rack in
center.  Brush some melted butter onto bottom and
sides of springform pan. Reserve the rest for the
tortillas.

To make sausage layer, cook sausage or chorizo in a
heavy skillet over medium-high heat until browned and
crumble with a fork.  Drain any excess fat.  Add green
onions, garlic and jalapenos and continue cooking for
about 2 minutes or until heated through.  Set aside.

To make egg layer, mix together the bread crumbs,
green onions and cilantro in a small bowl and add the
milk.  Let soak until the liquid is absorbed, then
squeeze out all the moisture.  Whip the eggs, salt,
pepper and chile powder together.  Melt butter in a
large heavy skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the egg
mixture and cook, stirring continually, just until the
eggs are no longer runny.  Remove from heat, add the
soaked crumbs and cheeses and mix thoroughly.

To cook, butter 1 flour tortilla on both sides with
the reserved melted butter.  Place the tortilla in the
bottom of the buttered springform pan.  Cover the
tortilla with half of the sausage mixture, then half
of the egg mixture.  Brush both sides of the other
tortilla with the remainder of the melted butter and
place the tortilla on top of the egg mixture.  Spread
the second half of the sausage mixture on top of the
tortilla; top with the remaining egg mixture.  Layer
the anaheim chiles over the eggs and evenly sprinkle
the cheeses on top.

Bake for 30 minutes and let rest for 15 minutes.
Carefully run a thin knife blade around the inside of
the pan and remove the side.  Transfer the torta to a
serving dish and cut into wedges.
SERVES 8-10

Thanks for the recipe Rich.  Yours sounds closer to
muerto, I'll have to try it soon.

John Sphar