[CH] Re: Linda's Flaming Kimchi

Linda Hutchinson (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:34:52 -0500

Linda's Flaming KimchiOh great news Rob!!! I haven't gotten time to try it
myself! (time or habaneros, that is.)  Now I am itching to make it!!  I can
find Scotch bonnets if I look around, so that will do.  Thanks for the
report.

Linda
----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Solarion
To: Chile-Heads List ; Apollonius Tyanaeus Cabal ; Forteana
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:28 PM
Subject: Linda's Flaming Kimchi

Thank You, Canadian Chile-Head Linda Hutchinson, for your excellent habanero
kimchi recipe!  I made some on Saturday, left it in the fridge for 3 days,
and ate generous servings yesterday and today.  It looks beautiful in a
clear glass jar!  And the liquid -- ahh, that is a nectar fit for the "gods"
of Planet X Nibiru!  Salute, Hermes!

I followed your procedure exactly, although I used 6 of everything: habs,
garlic and scallions.  I probably used a bit more ginger than you indicated,
and for color I added a full teaspoon of cayenne, plus a bit of freshly
ground black pepper, which I like.  Delicious!  And it isn't all that
terribly hot.  It is "just right"!  You could say that it makes "six
servings" since I have enough to last till the weekend.  I could have eaten
it all at once, you know?  HAHA!

Now I am planning to prepare a slightly different version, using a purplish
cabbage and adding some carrots and red onion, instead of scallions.  And I
might add a little bit more salt to the final liquid; I used 2 T. for the
soaking and exactly 1 for the second stage.  It should be very colorful, and
I'll send along the recipe when it is done.  Last month I was at the Binh
Minh Oriental Market in Dallas and bought two jars of Korean kimchi, one
made in Taiwan and the other in Vietnam.  The Taiwan kimchi contained only
cabbage and seasonings and was not very hot.  The Vietnamese kimchi was
"sweet and sour" which I normally do not like, but this was not too much.
It was ultra-hot, even hotter than your habanero kimchi; and besides cabbage
it had mustard greens, leeks, carrots and baby corn.  Very nice, and it is
what inspired me to experiment with your basic recipe, which I have appended
for the reference of others.

Once again, happy new year to all!  Rob

*

From: "Linda Hutchinson" <lipant@sympatico.ca>
Subject: [CH] FLAMING ORANGE HABANERO KIMCHEE

FLAMING ORANGE HABANERO KIMCHEE

1 large head Napa cabbage
salt
water
5 habanero peppers
4 garlic cloves
4 green onions
1 piece fresh ginger (1/2" thick)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Cut cabbage into 1-inch slices. Dissolve about 1-2
tablespoons salt in enough water to cover cabbage
slices in a non-reactive container. Leave cabbage to
soak in salted water for 12 to 24 hours at room
temperature. Rinse cabbage well, drain, and set aside.
Chop peppers (with seeds), green onions, garlic,
and ginger, and mix with 1 tablespoon salt and
cayenne pepper. Pack cabbage in a non-reactive
container, cover with water and gently stir in chopped
pepper mixture. Refrigerate for several days before
serving. Keeps quite a while if stored in
refrigerator. Remove kimchee from liquid before
serving.

Rob Solarion
Northeast Texas

PLANET X NIBIRU : SLOW-MOTION DOOMSDAY (2004)
http://www.slowmotiondoomsday.com/cosmictree.html
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=19745
Crossover Dreamtime Is Coming Again!  Where Will You Be?

APOLLONIUS OF TYANA & THE SHROUD OF TURIN (2005)
http://www.apollonius.net/turinshroud.html
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~28648.aspx
"The dice of God always fall in the right way."  Zenobius Sophistos

"And they do not know the future mystery, or understand ancient matters.
 And they do not know what is going to happen to them.
 And they will not save their souls from the future mystery."
     The Dead Sea Scrolls, Prophecy Of The Essenes
.