Re: Fwd: Re: [CH] In the middle of an oil pipeline story...

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:14:32 -0500

John H. Sphar wrote:

> Oh, I know.  I didn't like the _taste_ of haggis.
> Also, many sausages nowadays are stuffed into
> non-animal casings. Also you can get chorizo made with
> ingredients far different than the traditional, and it
> tastes pretty good.  Chile would be a must.  BTW what
> could French andouille made of, rectum casings?

Bv)=

Closer than you might think, leftover large intestines, stomach tripe,
chitterlings. And we all know where one end of the large intestine
attaches - here's the deal from my food encyclopaedia ...

-+-

Andouille (pronounced ahn-DWEE or ahn-DOO-ee) is a spicy heavily
smoked sausage made from pork. Several variations exist that use
different combinations of pork meat, fat, intestines and tripe.
Originally from France or Germany (the exact origin is uncertain), the
most well known variety in the US is the Cajun style.

French andouille is traditionally made of pork intestines and tripe.
It is heavily seasoned and smoked though not as spicy as the Cajun
variety.

The German andouilles are made only in certain regions of Germany.
They are made from remaining intestines and casings that are seasoned
and pulled through a larger casing then smoked.

-+-

Call me crazy - but, I'm a bit of a traditionalist. And an adventurer,
too. I sort of liked haggis. And durian, for that matter. Even had
balut a couple times. So the idea of good grub made from offal doesn't
put me off in the least.

Even though European andouille is made of chitterlings and tripe and
its pretty good - I am not a huge fan of chitterlings by themselves.
It's about the only "soul" food I don't care for.

All of that being said - I do prefer the Louisiana Andouille to the
original Froggish stuff for most things. Even though the French/German
andouille is smoked and highly seasoned - it is still pretty bland.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

When men are pure, laws are useless; when men are corrupt, laws
are broken. - Benjamin Disraeli