[CH] There's nothing "offal" in MY chorizo

Rich and Patti (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dave Drum <dirty_dave@chillicooks.org> wrote:

> Have none of you folks ever eaten sausage? What in the world do you
> think is in there? Last time I read the ingredients list on a
> container of La Preferida Chorizo the first ingredient was "porcine
> salivary glands". For that matter - whachoo think "natural" sausage
> casings are?!?!?!?

Rich's Classic Mexican-Style Chorizo

    2 lbs. - ground pork
    3 ounces - dried New Mexico chiles
    2 - chiles de arbol
    1/2 - medium onion, coarsly chopped
    1 tblsp. - paprika
    2 tsp. - Mexican oregano, well crumbled
    1 - garlic clove
    1 1/2 tsp. - coarse salt
    3/4 tsp. - ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. - ground cayenne chile
    1/4 cup - red wine vinegar

Toast the chiles and garlic on a hot comal. Remove the stems (and seeds
if desired) and soak the chiles in warm water until soft. Place the
chiles and onion in a blender, add the red wine vinegar, and whirl
until smooth (a little of the original soaking water can be added if
the
consistency is too thick). Remove the skin from the garlic clove,
finely dice the garlic, spinkle it with coarse salt, and crush it with
the back of a dinner fork.  Add garlic, chile puree, and spices to meat
in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least a couple
of
hours or overnight.  Form into patties or bulk portions of appropriate
size and refrigerate up to 3 or 4 days before use, after which any
remaining should be used or frozen.

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/