Re: [CH] This is a test

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Thu, 03 Aug 2006 06:44:02 -0400

Sometimes my posts make it through sometimes they don't
or I don't see them come back through the list.
I sent this out to Rael and the list but it never made it back to me
from the list so I don't think it made it.
Lets try this again - sorry for taking up bit space but it drives me
nutz until I figure out what is happening.

Chet
PS - First batch of Chocolate Habs picked! Not a lot in the picking but
a small fix! These are wintered over and potted plants though we are
getting a few others coming ripe now. So the hot weather is a good thing
for these peppers.

Curry-Ginger Oil
1 quart grapeseed or canola oil
½ cup peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 cup Madras curry powder
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the oil with the ginger and heat
over medium heat until the oil is fragrant and the ginger just begins to
color, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely, about
20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place a large, heavy sauté pan over medium ehat. Add the
curry powder to the dry skillet and toast, stirring, until the curry
powder smokes slightly, 8-10 minutes. Whisk in the ginger and oil,
remove from the stove, and cool completely, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Transfer the oil and spices to a 1- to 1 ½ -quart glass jar, scraping
the pan well. Allow the mixture to stand until the oil and curry powder
have separated completely, about 4 hours or overnight. The oil is now
ready to use. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 1 quart. Lasts 1 month, refrigerated.
Toss veggies like zucchini, onions or peppers with the oil, season them
with salt and pepper, and bake them on a baking sheet that’s been
preheated in a 400°F oven. Tsai uses this oil for recipes such as
Curry-Ginger Sweet Potato Fries.
Asian Pesto
2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed and seeded
8 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sugar
1 heaping tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 cup roasted salted macadamia nuts or roasted salted peanuts
Zest of 2 lemons
2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
1 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a blender or food processor, combine the chiles, garlic, sugar,
ginger, nuts zest, and 1 cup of the oil and blend until smooth. Add the
basil, mint, and cilantro and blend while slowly adding the remaining
oil until a thick puree is formed. Season with salt and pepper. Store in
a tightly covered jar and refrigerate.
Makes about 3 ½ cups. Lasts 2 weeks, refrigerated.
Tsai suggests mixing equal ratios of this pesto with cream cheese for a
yummy chip dip. This pesto can also serve as a spread in sandwiches.
Some of the recipes Tsai uses the pesto for include turkey spaghetti and
chicken salad with orzo pasta.
Hoisin-Lime Sauce
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 cups hoisin sauce
½ cup fresh lime juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the 2 tablespoons
of oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté
until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the hoisin sauce and stir to prevent
burning. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add the lime juice.

2. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend, drizzling in the ½ cup
oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cool thoroughly and use or store.
Makes about 2 cups. Last 2 weeks refrigerated.
Spread this sauce on tortillas, use it for dipping chicken fingers, or
drizzle it over stir-fries. Tsai has used this sauce to make Asian
Sloppy Joes and Hoisin-Roasted Duck With Sweet Potatoes.

from MrsLinsKitchen
Rael64 wrote:

Oh, man...mint is wonderful stuff...mint tea, mint in
iced tea, mint in ice cream, in beans...but here:

Cut up one fresh pineapple and put into a big bowl
(small bite-sized pieces, say, 1/4-1/2 inches). Chop
fairly fine about 2 cloves garlic (more or less, to
taste), and add to pineapple. Dice a couple roma
tomatoes and add along with some ground cumin, approx.
1/8 tsp. Dice/mince a couple chiles of your choice
and add. Stir well, and wet (not drown) with some
lime juice (1 lime should be plenty) and maybe a
splash of vinegar. I've chopped up a bit of onion and
added as well, but the onion tends to fight with the
garlic and pineapple too much, so I think it's best
without. And lastly, add in a good tablespoon, or
even two, of chopped fresh mint. Stir again, cover,
refrigerate, and let sit for a good 3-4 hours so the
mint does its thing.

Great with just chips but good with fish too.
Probably works with chicken (blah) and other beasts
too.

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles......
Don