Fw: [CH] Chile Growing...etc.

John H. Sphar (jsphar@pacbell.net)
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:14:55 -0700 (PDT)

I forgot to add "the list" to my recipients.  Here's my mail to Matt

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: jsphar@pacbell.net
To: Matt Evans <tmattevans@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2006 1:44:37 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] Chile Growing...etc.

Hey Matt, I'm into growing issues also.  I am not an expert and always ponder carefully the posts of those who are.  But I've come to feel that it's sorta hit and miss.  One year is good another year isn't so good.  I can't figure it out so I just plant as many as possible and try to use the techniques that are conventional wisdom and hope for the best.  Last year all I had were in containers (seedlings purchased over the internet) treated them with perfection and got zip.

This year I was lucky to be "granted" a community garden plot (maybe 600 sq. ft.) and I have a lot of plants that are starting to produce.  I have a Faizbadi which is small but sprouting out - upright pods and I have never even heard of the plant before buying it.  Habanero Burkina Faso, another previously unknown to me, is producing too.  Then I have a few that are getting very tall but no flowers.  Oh also a rocopica - like a rocoto, I guess.  I used a lot of mature compost, provided to the San Jose community gardens for free by the local garbage collector/recycler.  Got stray weed seedlings from it, but I attribute the growth and robustness this year to that compost!

AFA the Peter Peppers are concerned, they are considered "ornamental" by some.  What does that mean?  Do you stick them in an arrangement for the table?  I did get some 5-color ornamentals last year and they were OK to the taste, but not spectacular, all tasted like serranos.

Anyway, we appreciate the posts by growers.

On a separate issue, I guess I'll start using another e-mail address I have had for eight years (ever since we got DSL) for this forum.  It's chilehead@pacbell.net and my name is John Sphar, San Jose, CA.  We'll see if I can get thhis to happen through globalgarden.com.

Happy harvesting!