Re: [CH] making pickles

Linda Hutchinson (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:36:42 -0400

I do.

Two years ago I wanted to do some jalapenos down  for nachos, etc, but have
them stay crisp and not be
too vinegary.  So..... I used my dill pickle recipe, minus the dill.

Here goes

12 cups of water
3 cups of vinegar
1 cup of coarse pickling salt

This mixture is the brine and DO NOT ALTER IT.   Bring to a boil in a large
pot and put one garlic clove, cut in half, into each canning jar. Then fill
with sliced jalapenos (some red some green if avail).  Fill the jar to
overflowing with brine (do this in the sink preferably) then seal properly.
Turn jars upside down overnight to cool and check in the morning. If they
are leaking, reboil the liquid and use another jar.

These were great!

Linda Hutchinson
----- Original Message -----
From: Nels Peterson Family
To: ChileHeads
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:08 PM
Subject: [CH] making pickles

Just to share a recipe -- and ask a question

I visited the local Hutterite Colony today -- after an hour of sociable
religious debate, purchased a bushel of pickling cucumbers.  Really nice
sizes, none bigger than my thumb, get about 20 cucumbers in a quart.  Made
one canner full (7 quart jars) with my desire for heat.  For those I
increased the chiles to 3 per jar and added a couple of jalapenos.  Will
pickle up really nice, moderate heat, and nice and crisp.

Right now I am enjoying a nice adult libation and waiting for the last
canner to get done.  Made 32 quarts (works out well -- 1 bushel = 8 gallons,
4 quarts to the gallon, you figure it out )

The adult libation ain't bad either, one third red wine, one third Diet
Mountain Dew, one third gin or vodka (tonight its gin)

Pickle Recipe follows:

Garlic dills

Put in Jar:
1 chile pepper
1 clove garlic
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1/8 teaspoon powdered alum
Large head of dill at bottom of jar
Pack cucumbers tightly ( can add a few carrots for color)

Brine
3 Tablespoons Salt   Bring to boil
4 cups water

Pour bring over cucumbers in jars, put on rings and lids process hot water
bath for 10 minutes

Now for the question:

Does anyone have a pickled jalapeno recipe that will keep the peppers crisp?