Re: [CH] Blossom Drop on C. pubescens

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:32:19 -0400

Thanks for all of the advice, folks.  As I suspected, it appears that
the general consensus is that high heat is the issue.  My manzano is
in a container, so I might overwinter it, but I have typically gotten
excellent first year production from this variety.

A couple of other points have been brought up --

1.  Nitrogen -- I agree that excessive N2 will cause blossom drop, but
my manzano is getting the same dose as my other potted plants and it
is the only one exhibiting this problem.

2.  Pollenators -- I have not specifically watched bees and ants
pollenate this plant, so I can't comment here....but, again, the other
plants seem to be doing fine.

Extremely high heat (we hit 108 at the WU station closest to my house
last week), opressive humidity (heat index of 118 at same WU station
on a different day), and a cool-weather variety seem to be coming
after me.  I still think it's a bit strange, though, as this variety
has done well for me in the past -- but, this is the hottest summer I
can remember.

Matt