[CH] rocotos dropping blossoms

Margaret Lauterbach (melauter@earthlink.net)
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:42:50 -0600

I think that when high temperatures kill pollen,
the blossoms carrying that pollen drop off.  I
suspect different varieties of chiles have
different heat tolerances for their pollen,  or
they may set pollen at different times of day
leading some to drop blossoms, others not
to.  We've had several days over 100° here in SW
Idaho, but that temperature is only reached in
late afternoon. Nights have been in 60s and 70s,
and temp only goes over 95 around 2 to 3
p.m.  That leaves over 20 hours a day for pollen
to develop and fruit to set before pollen is
killed.  I have good sets of fruits on chiles and
tomatoes (usually no fruit set above 95°).  Margaret L

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:32:19 -0400
From: "Matt Evans" <tmattevans@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CH] Blossom Drop on C. pubescens

Thanks for all of the advice, folks.  As I suspected, it appears that
the general consensus is that high heat is the issue.  My manzano is
in a container, so I might overwinter it, but I have typically gotten
excellent first year production from this variety.

A couple of other points have been brought up --

1.  Nitrogen -- I agree that excessive N2 will cause blossom drop, but
my manzano is getting the same dose as my other potted plants and it
is the only one exhibiting this problem.

2.  Pollenators -- I have not specifically watched bees and ants
pollenate this plant, so I can't comment here....but, again, the other
plants seem to be doing fine.

Extremely high heat (we hit 108 at the WU station closest to my house
last week), opressive humidity (heat index of 118 at same WU station
on a different day), and a cool-weather variety seem to be coming
after me.  I still think it's a bit strange, though, as this variety
has done well for me in the past -- but, this is the hottest summer I
can remember.

Matt