RE: [CH] rocotos dropping bloesems

Rob (r.pieters7@chello.nl)
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:24:26 +0200

Hi Margareth,

I can believe this, I have the same with my 3 and 4 year old Rocoto's.
I also think due to the heat, and unless I gave them plenty of water...even
kept them out of direct sun! 80 % of the blossom did drop.
Plus even hardly setting fruit on those who did stay on the plant, and the
were plenty of insects... but now it has getting much colder it's going to
flower again and most of the flowers stay.
Could also that when its getting to hot the plants loose to much water
through there leaves and can't get to the flowers, I guess it’s a matter of
resistance. Water is easer transported to the leaves that to the flowers.
At leased the plants need to vaporize water by there leaves for direct
survive, they do not need the flowers for this...
Its just the nature of live, first try to survive, than think of posterity.

Just my two cents worth...
Kind regards
Rob NL

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] Namens Margaret Lauterbach
Verzonden: donderdag 10 augustus 2006 14:43
Aan: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Onderwerp: [CH] rocotos dropping blossoms

I think that when high temperatures kill pollen,
the blossoms carrying that pollen drop off.  I
suspect different varieties of chiles have
different heat tolerances for their pollen,  or
they may set pollen at different times of day
leading some to drop blossoms, others not
to.  We've had several days over 100° here in SW
Idaho, but that temperature is only reached in
late afternoon. Nights have been in 60s and 70s,
and temp only goes over 95 around 2 to 3
p.m.  That leaves over 20 hours a day for pollen
to develop and fruit to set before pollen is
killed.  I have good sets of fruits on chiles and
tomatoes (usually no fruit set above 95°).  Margaret L