Re: [CH] Manzano/rocoto - gotta love them

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:16:42 -0400

Dale Freeman wrote:
> I've always thought that the names rocoto and manzano were just synonyms
> for the same variety of chili plant.  The black seeds are a give away as
> the yellow, orange and red varieties all have them and they are the only
> pods that I'm aware of that have these.  A search of the web seems to
> link them as the same plant.
>
> Am I mistaken?

Manzano means apple-shaped.  C.Pubescens can grow in manzano (apple)
shaped and in perone (pear) shaped.  In chile lingo, manzano has
come to mean the apple shaped C.Pubescens Rocoto chile.

I have extra seeds for the red manzano rocoto, is anyone would like
some.  Let me know.  I could bring them to Open Fields.

Hobby Farmer