Re: [CH] Residual heat in cookware

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:54:37 -0500

Scott Peterson wrote:

>> Le Creuset is enameled cast iron. Except the ones that are Teflon.
>> (yes, I KNOW it's blasphemy).

> Not to me.  I'm far to pragmatic a cook.  The real answer to the
> question is that while the smell lasts a long time, little or no spice
> remains to contaminate food cooked in that pot.

> Not all of them are coated.  I've a couple Le Creuset pots (not frying
> pans) that are plain iron on the inside.  Photographs on request if you
> don't believe me. <g>

Hmmmmmmmm ... never seen but one raw interior Le Creuset. And that was
one that had shed its non-stick (not really Teflon, but similar). I
bought a little 7" blue Le Cru off eBay a few years ago and thought it
was raw inside before I discovered it had the non-stick surface. The
lid was the typical creamy white enamel on the underside.

You learn something everyday, I guess.

> The problem is that the chile oil works its way into the seasoning
> surface on the pot. The only way to get it out is clean off the surface
> and  reseason.

I've never had a desire to get chile oil out of a seasoned pot. It
ain't hard - just time consuming. Put the pot in a garbage bag with a
quart of household ammonia and leave it on the back patio for a week
or so (in the sun). Take it out and hose the brown sludge off. If you
still are not down to raw iron - pop it back in the sack and begin the
process over again. Time is easier for me to spend than elbow grease.

Once the vessel is back to gray iron - re-season as new. Worst one I
had was a 10" frying pan bought new in the late 1920s and never had
the exterior washed (that I could tell). There was literally 3/8" of
crusted carbon on the sides of this guy in some places. Took four
trips through the Bo-Peep laundry before it came clean. Once I got it
re-seasoned and up to nearly non-stick status it has become one of my
favourite egg pans. Just don't do Chorizo in it - the vinegar in the
Chorizo (in my Chorizo, anyway) will attack the coating.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline -
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear
weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa