Re: [CH] plants coming indoors...

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:48:50 -0400

Tina Brooks wrote:

> The plants have been soil grown and are going into the
> pots today... Aside from isolating them from our other
> plants, which is pretty much an impossibility if we
> consider flying insects, is there anything else I
> should do?

We are bringing in a couple this year, too.  Here is what I do (keep
in mind I usually do things the hard way).  I wrap the pot and soil
up tight in a plastic bag, then use the sprayer in the sink or
bathtub to rinse off all the foliage, especially under the leaves.
After the plant dries I put a little liquid dish and a little
rubbing alcohol in some water in a spray bottle and spritz the plant
down.  Dampen the soil, too.  After a week or two, inspect the plant
for bugs, especially the tough to kill scale.  Scale we kill by
wiping it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol.  We don't feed the
plant until early Spring.

If your friends happen to see you rubbing your plant with that
cotton swab, don't even try to explain....

Hobby Farmer