Re: [CH] plants coming indoors...

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:26:55 -0500

jim@wildpepper.com wrote:

> Re:  *Mercaptans contain sulfur. That’s what makes them smell. The kind
> used blends well with natural gas and, in a gaseous state, has much
> the same properties as natural gas, so it will also rise and dissipate
> with natural gas.

> Remember *you* said this:  Just my morning to be a pedantic
> nit-picker.   :-P

> Back at you :-)

> Methyl mercaptan has a vapor density of well over 6.0.  It won't rise
> with the gas but instead percipitate out.  It is also highly toxic.
> It's use with natural gas comes from the fact that the human nose can
> detect mercaptans down to the ppb- as in billion, not ppm (million).
> There is little else, if anything, that humans can detect in lower
> quantities... unless it's chile peppers to the weak ;-)

I don't know what specific mercaptan is used. None of the sites I
checked went beyond "mercaptan". What I posted was a synopsis of
information from several sites.

> I believe skunk oil is in the same family as well.  Can't says as I
> would ever mistake the heavenly aroma of garlic for mercaptan :-)

That one I do know - butyl mercaptan.

> Should have seen the mess we had around here when the gas company, as
> part of an education program, but a 'scratch & sniff' dot of mercatpan
> on the gas bills one month.  It was supposed to show the public what a
> gas leak smells like.  Yeeessshhhh!!! We ran 'gas leaks' and 'gas odor'
> calls non-stop for DAYS!

I can believe it. I assume that Sparky the Fire Dog bit a big chunk
out of their promotional department's collective arse and that they
won't repeat that soon.   Bv)=

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is
beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." --Dave Barry