RE: [CH] plants coming indoors...

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:52:55 -0700

Narsai David once told me that mercaptans are responsible for the following
unpleasantry:

--------
There is the tall tale that "asparagus urine" is linked to higher
intelligence. In fact, it's the result of a simple chemical reaction.
Asparagus contains a sulphur compound called mercaptan. (It's also found in
rotten eggs, onions, garlic, in the secretions of skunks, and is what they
add to natural gas so you can detect leaks.) When your digestive tract
breaks down this substance, by-products are released that cause the funny
scent. The process is so quick that your urine can develop the distinctive
smell within 15 to 30 minutes of eating asparagus.

But not everyone has this experience. Your genetic makeup may determine
whether your urine has the odor - or whether you can actually smell it. Only
some people appear to have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down
mercaptan into its more pungent parts. A study published in the May 1989
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that 46% of 115 people tested
produced the odor in one group of British citizens, while 100% of 103 people
produced it in a group of French citizens. The ability to smell the
by-products may also be genetic. Another study published in the same journal
found that 10% of a group of 300 Israeli Jews could not detect the odor. In
other words, a person's urine could smell, but he or she might not know it.
But since you're here, you're likely in the group that can do both. But
that's nothing to worry about.
--------
Taken from:
http://www.lhaven.net/index.php?url=http://www.lhaven.net/asparagus.htm

Of course, I unfortunately have the genetic makeup, but without the "higher
intelligence". ;)

John S.