Re: [CH] Fw: Cabot Cheese Halloween Recipe and Savings

Linda Hutchinson (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:28:34 -0400

I order the Habanero cheddar in winter... it's amazing.  Not farmer owned or
not,
although I agree that's a shame!  But it is sure good cheese.

Linda

----- Original Message -----
From: Chet Bacon
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Fw: Cabot Cheese Halloween Recipe and Savings

Great recipe but Cabot Creamery is not owned by farmers any longer.
Agri-Mark <sp> bought us out long ago.  The milk no longer come from
just Cabot farms and the quality, though good for today's standards is
in no where near it quality it used to be.  BTW - Hunter's Cheese is
suppose to be spring milk just as the cows are let out to pasture from
being cooped up in the barn.  We also used to have aged cheese the was
nice and sharp (peel the top of you mouth off sharp!).  All of the old
aged cheese was sold off just before the CoOp sold out to some boys from NJ.
In 1919 the cheese maker was hosted by the town and brought in his
family and recipe from Europe.  That was when Cabot cheese making was
first started and before that it was just milk.  (at least this is what
was told to me by my grandfather Walker, who was treasurer at the time)
Walkerway farms was over 150 years old when I worked on it as a boy.
Yup lots of changes in the town, lots of the farms have been sold off as
flat-landers move north and taxes go up up  up.
Just ain't the same, sigh.

Chet