Re: [CH] Hot News Regarding Your Blood Sugar

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:54:11 -0600

Dana H. Myers wrote:

>>We do use Splenda in all cooking and Marie uses it in baking,
>>although even in baking she will use a 50/50 sugar Splenda split,
>>because Splenda does not have the bulk of sugar, which some baking
>>recipes require.

> I thought that Splenda has the same "bulk" as sugar, since it's basically
> reformulated sucrose, but you need to use some real sugar in baking where
> the sugar is feeding yeast, since the yeast won't digest Splenda either.

I use Sugar Twin in most things - except leavened products. It
substitutes volume for volume for granulated sugar. Not tried Splenda
yet. S-T sure works a treat for cookies, pie fillings, cakes (where
self rising cake flour or baking powder is used instead of yeast for
the rise. Also for icings and the like.

Holiday baking season is upon us. I am busily making holiday shapes
from cookie dough and frosting with red (cayenne spiked) and green
(jalapeno spiked) frostings.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's
just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." --Homer Simpson