Re: [CH] Aphids as usual

JohnT (Love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:04:20 -0600

Cameron,

I hesitate to post this, but a good Rogue cyber-friend (hope to meet at OF
'07) in phone conversation a few days ago says there is a safe systemic.
He's a brainy-type like yourself and of course I understood little (as am a
troll you know)  He's an horticultural instructor at a Florida prison
system.

What I do know and kinda understand.....   aphids are ladybug food.  Big
time!!  I order them in December, they feast, they lay eggs, the larvae
(little alligators) get a great start when I put my plants outdoors in the
spring and I have a great year re natural pest control.

I do supplement the wintered LBs food with honey in case their aphid food
supply runs out.

jt
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cameron Begg
  To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
  Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 6:48 PM
  Subject: [CH] Aphids as usual

  Hi CH's,

  Indoor over-wintering plants show major aphid infestation. Just like
  last year when I lost the long drawn out battle to remove them and
  lost all my chile plants as a result. I have both the pyrethrum based
  spray and the soap spray on hand but neither seems to work. Anyone
  have success with systemics?

  PS - The problem is mostly with rocotos, whose hairs are meant to
  deter insect pests. Go figure.

  Regards,
                  Cameron