RE: [CH] Tomatillo Salsa

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:46:39 -0500

The Mexican restaurants around here use roasted Chile D'Arbols in their
Salsa Tomatillo.  Depending on how many are used, it can get to the red
stage, actually more of a reddish tan.  I've pasted my recipe in below:

Salsa Tomatillo

1 to 1 1/2 pounds of tomatillos

6 small cloves of garlic or 3 cloves of elephant garlic
  (even more, if you are a fan of Emeril<G>)

a handful of dried red Chile de Arbol peppers (purchase dried at Mexican
grocery) (even more, if you are not a moderate)

cilantro

1/2 to 1 tsp each salt and black pepper

1 to 2 tsp cumin, to taste

1 large sweet onion

juice of 1/2 lime, more or less

Smoke the tomatillos on the grill using mesquite or pecan wood, do not roast
over direct flame, offset from low to medium flame.  Tomatillos will turn
soft and skin may char somewhat.  Turn a few times during the process.

Roast the chiles and garlic in a frying pan (separate pans, or separated in
same pan, as they will not be done at the same time) over low to medium
heat, turn frequently.  The garlic will become soft when done and skin may
turn tan in spots.   The chiles will begin to darken in spots.  This will be
10-20 minute process, don't rush it.

Put chiles, garlic, salt, pepper, 1/2 of the onion, cumin, lime juice and
some cilantro leaves in a blender.  Puree.  Taste test to adjust salt,
pepper, cumin and lime juice and cilantro. (note: cumin flavor will increase
a bit after a night in the fridge)

Add rest of cilantro and the other 1/2 onion and any seasonings you need to
adjust.  Chop, so that the onion and cilantro you just added remain coarse.

It is ready to eat, but will taste better after sitting in the fridge
overnight