Re: [CH] World's hottest chile

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:29:30 -0800 (PST)

Dave, you're saying that Jim is right that we weren't
lied to? I don't see that.

For starters, I don't know from the "Red Savina"
incident. I was around at that time.

What I do know is that someone I respected a great
deal before this Jolokia incident truly came to light
this past year, has essentially KNOWN that the Indians
spoke true and apparently, deliberately said nothing.

And dumping this whole thing off onto the Indian
Scientists, because they ignored him is ridiculous at
this point, because Dr. Bosland has had FIVE years to
say, oh, hey, we think maybe the scientists might have
been right. He stayed entirely mute, on the subject.

Dr. Bosland is one of the most respected pepper
experts in the world, his silence this last five years
speaks more loudly to me than his vague suggestion
that perhaps the Indians did something out of the
ordinary.

I have an idea, why don't you perhaps clarify what
happened with the Red Savina when the Garcias got
their Guinness record, perhaps it will shed some light
on why you guys feel so not lied to.

--- Gtoughchile <chilehead@tough-love.com> wrote:

> Sorry Tina, but Jim is right. Bosland and DeWitt
> were not nearly as skeptical about the Naga Jolokia
> claims as they were about "Red Savina". The
> interesting thing is that Naga Jolokia apparently
> has mostly C. Chinense genes, but also C. Frutescens
> genes. Dr. Bosland actually proved that the Indian
> scientists were at least partially right. Too bad
> that after their press release they failed to
> respond to inquiries from the western press. Had
> they done so, your nose wouldn't be so far out of
> joint.
>
> Dave Anderson
> TLCC
>
> > I don't consider it unfortunate at all! :-)
> >
> > If one would recall the original article that they
> were pressed to comment
> > on, it was sooo full of factual errors it could
> only have been considered
> > joke.  He was extremely kind in only expressing
> doubts, based on what was
> > printed.  The Savina(R) was identified as a
> "Mexican" pepper, the jolokia
> > as
> > a frutescens (not a cross), and the sum total
> output of chiles in the US
> > at
> > 8,000 tons.
> >
> > Somebody's miffed feelings ought to be directed
> instead at the people who
> > wrote such a poor article ;-)
> >
> > -Jim C
> > http://www.StepUpForCharity.org