Re: [CH] World's hottest chile

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:10:24 -0600

Brent Thompson wrote:

> The derogatory tone of "the wonder of the whole thing is that the denizens
> of the sub-continent managed a cross between..." bothers me.

No disrespect to the denizens of the sub-continent was intended. But,
I have been informed over and over again that crosses such as what was
accomplished were nearly impossible ... i.e. a cross that would breed
true and produce seed viable to reproduce the cultivar with open
pollination. That's all I meant.

> But anyway, according to the 1983 Crossability Matrix of Capsicum Species
> that I normally post every 2-3 years to this list:

>>Crossability Matrix of Capsicum Species
>>	(Figure 3, Genetic Resources of Capsicum, International Board for
>>	Plant Genetic Resources, 1983
>>	[Crop Genetic Resources Centre, Plant Production and Protection
>>	Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations])

> C. frutescens and C. chinense can cross, with resulting "F1 hybrids
> partially fertile".  Although this wording has always been a bit unclear to
> me, I believe this means it is reasonable to expect these two might cross
> and create a viable line, at some probability that may be low but
> definitely not-zero.

The "partially fertile" item is what I refer to. It seems that CPI has
viable seed (I hope - I ordered some) that they are flogging in Chile
Pepper magazine.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let
the food fight it out inside."  --Mark Twain