Re: [CH] On the topic of extracts...

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 06:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

Jim, although you're right, and that this particular
article does refer to artificial (read chemical)
jalapeno "flavor", from where I sit, whether it's a
"natural pepper flavoring" or simply a "jalapeno
flavor"... it's still a chemical.

The most frightening thing to me is that because it's
all so unregulated, especially with so many hot sauces
being produced God only knows where, we chiliheads
have no real way of knowing that "natural" isn't
really natural or that the presence of the word
"spices" on the label could mean that there is some
form or other of chemical flavoring of some sort in
that hot sauce.

--- jim@wildpepper.com wrote:

> Chile pepper 'flavorings' are not to be confused
> (though easily done)
> with extracts.
>
> While extract can be listed as 'flavoring' not all
> 'flavoring' is
> extract.
>
> With the increased popularity of chile pepper stuff,
> several types of
> 'chile pepper flavorings' are available, based on
> the analysis of the
> unique chemicals that give them their 'signature'.
> Just as diacetyl
> returns a flavor of 'butter', food scientists have
> differentiated items
> that return flavors associated with many common
> chiles.
>
> Manufacturing processes are entirely different,
> substances used are
> entirely different.
>
> -Jim
> http://www.StepUpForCharity.org