Re: [CH] Texas chili

JohnT Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:28:36 -0500

Riley,

Be sure and add beans to your chili as that will greatly add to your Texan
fan base.  I've tried the Cin Chili and 5 Alarm mixes and they are OK.
Gebhardt Chili Powder is pretty good if you can find in your area and build
from there.

Here in the KC area one of the employee-owned grocery chains makes what they
call a "chili-grind" ground beef for sale in the fall and wintertime.  The
grind must be close to 1/2" or so and for some reason that seems to make a
huge difference in flavor.  They will let you pick out whatever cuts of meat
you want if want to custom do it.  I usually mix pork shoulder and beef
chuck roasts.  I brown the meat in lard.

JohnT

----- Original Message -----
From: Riley J. McIntire
To: ChileHeads
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 1:54 PM
Subject: [CH] Texas chili

Hi Pods,

A friend just gave me a D.L. Jardine's Texas Chili "Bag O'Fixins Kit". I've
never made Texas style chili, and wouldn't mind a try. The question, Is it
possibly worthwhile using this bag of er, stuff? Or should I find a good
recipe and do it from scratch? I'm tempted to just do the latter, but if
this stuff is good I'd consider it, for friendship's sake! tia.

Hope all you OF'ers have a great time. Keep Jim outta trouble now, ya here?

Hot regards,

Riley
--
Nothing in the world is more dangerous
than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.