Re: [CH] Texas chili

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:19:40 -0700

JohnT Love2Troll wrote:
> Riley,
>
> Be sure and add beans to your chili as that will greatly add to your
> Texan fan base.  I've tried the Cin Chili and 5 Alarm mixes and they are
> OK. Gebhardt Chili Powder is pretty good if you can find in your area
> and build from there.

Hello John and C-H'ers....I dunno about the "add to your Texan fan base"
and in fact I think that it would have the opposite effect:-))! A big
difference of opinion about beans in Texas Chili exists in Texas, with
the majority of folks stating absolutely that there "ain't no beans in
chili"! I would point to the URL:
  http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html

This site gives a pretty good description of the various versions of the
national dish of Texas.  Some folks add a side of beans, but never ever
in the chili, which is mainly beef, chili peppers, chili powder, comino
garlic, onion, oregano & salt. No tomato, no nuttin else, particularly
beans!  Or spaggeti! Check them all out, there are a pile of recipes in
there.
Unfortunately, for this old man, Marie has an allergy to beef, so I
stick to pork and peppers. I do make Texas chili on occasion, and then I
do something else for my better half. Speaking about peppers, I lost all
of mine but one plant this year, and the one I managed to keep alive was
a Black Hungarian, which is really producing now, putting out blossoms
every day and loads of peppers. And they are HOT!
My chili powder is my own blend of dried and ground peppers, along with
powdered garlic and cumin, and just a tad of salt. And my ground pepper
mixture contains some of Jim's dried chipotle as well. Great chili mix!
Cheers, old Doug in BC