RE: [CH] Texas chili

Riley J. McIntire (Riley@ChileGarden.com)
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:45:59 -0700

Doug Irvine [dougandmarie@shaw.ca] spake thusly on Friday, September 14,
2007 4:20 PM:

> JohnT Love2Troll wrote:
>> Riley,
>>
>> Be sure and add beans to your chili as that will greatly add to your
>> Texan fan base.  I've tried the Cin Chili and 5 Alarm mixes and they

> Hello John and C-H'ers....I dunno about the "add to your Texan fan
> base" and in fact I think that it would have the opposite effect:-))!
> A big difference of opinion about beans in Texas Chili exists in

Ok. The bag of chili fixins isn't going into my chili. We don't eat beef
enough to risk a commercial mix. I'm leaning towards =Mark's chili, Bad
Attitude Chili--``best I've ever had'' is high praise, worth paying
attention to around here. And I'll check out some other, for comparison,
definitely Dave's.

> Texas, with the majority of folks stating absolutely that there
> "ain't no beans in chili"! I would point to the URL:
>   http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html

No one with a Texas bias would call what I make and call chili, chili. Most
of my chilis are health foods, too, although lowfat doesn't work in the
equation anymore. But I want an authentic recipe for once. And =Mark's url
allows bean, although grudgingly, to be sure. I'm up in the air about it.

> half. Speaking about peppers, I lost all of mine but one plant this
> year, and the one I managed to keep alive was a Black Hungarian,
> which is really producing now, putting out blossoms every day and
> loads of peppers. And they are HOT!

A shame you lost most of them, Doug. This year we only have cayenne and jals
in a couple pots. Maybe a garden next year.

> My chili powder is my own blend of dried and ground peppers, along
> with powdered garlic and cumin, and just a tad of salt. And my ground
> pepper mixture contains some of Jim's dried chipotle as well. Great
> chili mix! Cheers, old Doug in BC

Sounds good. I'm gunshy of chili powder myself, one reason Bad Attitude
Chili sounds good. He uses _chile_ powder, and add the cumin separately. No
onions, though. I'd be sorely tempted to add some.

Thanks for all the advice!

Hot regards,

Riley
--
Nothing in the world is more dangerous
than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.