Re: [CH] "Thai hot" confusion :-)

Walt Spencer (g0tuj@g0tuj.karoo.co.uk)
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:59:28 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim" <jim@mail.wildpepper.com>
To: "Rael64" <z42dkm@yahoo.com>; <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] "Thai hot" confusion :-)

> 'One million jars that taste identical from first to last.'

I bet a whole lot of folks do value that consistency in taste and heat, good
for them I say. But this old guy aint one of em. Guess I have reached that
stage in life where I love surprises and this world aint got a lot of them
anymore. It is only when you are in the world of chili peppers that you have
any hope of getting any real surprises.

You all know that I have a passion for Ralph's Righteous Habanero Sauce and
it is the one sauce that has truly satisfied my taste. I will go so far as
to admit that maybe it is a standardised product, maybe, but one that does
have it's surprises, especially when you exceed the stated dose, which
incidentally I happen to do regularly. Well I credit my daily fling with
Ralph's with keeping my cancer asleep and leaving me to get on with living
and if that's so then, I am a happy man.

But Thai Hot's. I well remember not so long back having a thing about eating
these pickled and would go through a small jar of them in a night. They were
mixed, red, green and yellow and I well remember that the green ones were so
mild that you could happily have scoffed them all day long.  This particular
night I was wading my way through a jar of these Thai Hots and can still see
in my minds eye, that beautiful green chili gleaming away as I fished it out
of the vinegar. Well I gnashed away at that lil old green chili and
.........Yikes! I was hit by wave after wave of fire that almost put me on
the floor. Honest guy's, that there green chili was hotter than the last
habanero I tackled. It had me gasping for breath and hiccoughing like an old
trooper. The memory of the pain that 'lil divil' put me though still lingers
on and I aint forgot it yet. Well that sure was a surprise for me and it was
only later that I realised that in a way I had enjoyed it. I did and I am
sure that we all do.

Right then. I am away and let the experts get on with the discussion. Great
reading. Keep it up and we of the moderate persuasion 'Hic!' will be
encouraged more and more to come out of our protective shells. Ha Ha! Red
Hot Greetings from Walt, CH#2218. An old Chili-Head from the old country.