Re: [CH] "Thai hot" confusion :-)

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:57:41 -0500

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 06:11:22AM -0500, jim wrote:

> Gotta disagree a bit on blaming Pace.  Look at this thread- one bad
> meal = no more business ;-)  Folks here are wanting consistent heat
> levels in their Thai food;

I've gotten a new perspective on things today, after (A) fixing the
problem once and for all, and (B) thinking about it, post-fixing,
for a bit.

Truth is, we shouldn't blame them...we should thank them.  We should
thank them for driving us away to learn to make our favorite Thai
dishes, our favorite style hot sauces/salsas/whatever, and so on,
for ourselves.  We're the ones who benefit (IMHO, learning any new
skill, or adding new possibilities to an existing one, is a Good Thing).
So, IMN-FHO (in my newly-formed...), a short-term bad thing transforms
into a permanent good thing.  :-)

Today, after having given up on all of the local Thai places and their
ability to deliver Thai hot food when I ask for it, I bought a wok for
the first time, and learned to make Pad Thai from scratch (i.e., I did
not use bottled Pad Thai sauce, any sort of kit, etc.).  I now control
the whole process (well, within reasonable limits), and if it's wrong,
I can fix it.  I like it that way.

It's no different than what the mega-breweries ("Budmilloors") have done
to beer...they took all of the taste away and drove us to learn to brew
our own from malted grain, hops, yeast from our own yeast bank, and
water.  From there, we control the recipe, and, given adequate experience,
we control the outcome.

I hadn't thought about it all that way until just a little while ago,
and thought I should post it here.  :-)    Just yet another point of
view, for what it's worth.  :-)

Later,
   --jim