Re: [CH] ALERT: Chile finds at Big Lots!

KnoxBill (knoxbill@comcast.net)
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:05:40 -0400

Linda Reynolds wrote:
> Hey Chile friends.
>
> Just a FYI about what I found at my local Big Lots. There is a kind of
> specialty/ethnic area dedicated to this stuff.
>
> Brazos Legends: Lonesome Red Habanero Bloody Mary Mix, 1 liter/$2.00
> Giorgio Chipotle Mushrooms, 16oz. $1.30
> Roland Chile Sauces, various kinds $2.00
> Desert Creations: Scorpions Sting and Coyotes Howl hot sauces by
> Southwest Specialty foods, $1.50 (bottle size like Frank's)
>
> I was just snooping around and didn't have a ton of money so I am
> headed back to snarfle up some of this stuff.
> Dang, the price is right and you never know what you might come across
> that is worthy.
big lots is a crap shoot...i've found some good stuff there and some
real stinko stuff...problem is, that if you buy one bottle and get it
home to discover it is the tastiest thing in town, by the time you rush
back to the store it may be sold out...conversely, if you buy three of
something that looks good, and find that the garbage disposal refuses to
process it, it is not such a good buy...

so, i took a clue from a friend who is a connoisseur of fine $2 wines
(two buck chuck)...she says there are prizes in the barrel, but often
you get a clunker...so she carries a corkscrew in the car, buys one
bottle that she thinks she will like, takes it to the car, opens it,
samples it and if it is good, goes back in and buys a case...if it is
plonk, she dumps it and goes back to try another...(her car is the one
with the large purple stain next to it in TJ's parking lot)...

when i spot something interesting at big lots, i buy a single bottle and
a small bag of chips...take it to the car, open it and taste it...if it
is good, i go back and buy three more bottles...if it's really good, i
buy them out...if not, i've only wasted a couple bucks...

btw, Scorpions Sting and Coyotes Howl are the same sauce, different
labels...so if you like one you'll like both...

--

knoxbill

                     -- Albert Einstein